Oncology Massage 2
Last Updated: 20/Oct/2020
OM2 is open to anyone who:
- Has successfully completed OM1, and
- Has successfully completed a tactile therapy course recognised by OML, and
- Is registered with a professional organisation recognised by OML.
Previously successful OM2 Graduates may register for an OM2 as a Refresher for half-price.
Generally 6 to 12 Students
Pre Course Preparation
Before enrolling in OM2, please ensure that you have been able to adequately practice the techniques demonstrated in OM1 (we recommend at least 8 weeks). Colleagues, family or friends may act as suitable clients to practice on, so that when you work with folk experiencing cancer you will feel more confident and you will ensure the best outcomes for OM2.
The following are required pre-reading for OM2:
- OM1 Manual & Notes
- OM2 Frequently Asked Questions
- Medicine Hands by Gayle MacDonald
- Quest for Life by Petrea King
- The Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton
You can find information on where to borrow or purchase these publications on the Finding Pre-Reading Page.
The OM2 Frequently Asked Questions will be provided once you have registered.
Pre-Course Online Exam
The online open book exam has been designed to test your basic understanding of patho-physiology which you would have studied as part of your initial massage training. It is a prerequisite to the course and it must be completed before the OM2 Course start date.
The exam gives you the opportunity to revisit topics that you may not have looked at for sometime and, if you are unsure of a correct answer, an opportunity to research unfamiliar topics before the OM2 Course start date. It is essential that you complete the online, open book exam and bring it with you to the first day of the OM2 course.
If you do not achieve the pass mark, you will have the opportunity to revisit your answers before you attend OM2. Please do not let any fear of exams deter you from undertaking this course of study.
OM2 consists of 3 full days of study - 8 hours each day. OM2 has 6 units - a unit is a morning or afternoon session of approximately 4 hours with appropriate breaks:
- Unit 1 - Introduction; science review and development of leading edge research - psychoneuroimmunology (PNI); mindfulness touch; epigenetics; how the immune system works.
- Unit 2 - Review Bone Marrow Support Sequence; ‘lymph’ safe stroking; relaxation reflex and bowel blockages; abdominal massage demonstration.
- Unit 3 - Understanding the 4C’s, how beliefs and attitudes shape our health; managing the mind; managing the new body image after cancer.
- Unit 4 - Abdominal practical; draping review; case study assessment; discussion.
- Unit 5 - Understanding pain management; nutrition; alternative versus complementary therapies; supplements and cancer.
- Unit 6 - Ethics; professional supervision – emotional and practical; supervised practical treatment of a volunteer cancer client and assessment; debrief and feedback.
To be awarded the OM2 Course Certificate, students must pass the online open-book exam and a practical assessment. Successful completion of OM2 will allow students to register for the OML National Massage Therapist Listing, and to express interest in undertaking OM3/4 training.
Any OM2 Students that require further assessment will be provided with a course transcript for CPE purposes, and an OM2 reassessment plan. If you require a practical re-assessment or further mentoring, you must pay for the Course Facilitator’s time directly, at a cost to be agreed between both parties. An example would be to pay the regular hourly massage rate of the Course Facilitator.
Progression to OM3/4
Progression to OM3/4 is NOT automatic. If an OM2 Graduate plans to register for the OM3/4 program, they will need to have successfully completed an OM2, an OM2 Refresher, or an OML Tutorial no more than 18 months prior to commencing an OM3/4 Course. They will also need to pass through a vetting process to confirm suitability for this hospital-based work.
Pricing & Payment
To register for an OM2 Course, please go to the List of Courses By Region or the Course Booking Calendar, choose your course, and follow the registration process. To register for an OM2 Refresher Course, please follow the above process, and please email us to notify us of your registration.