Oncology Massage 1 (OM1)
Pre-Requisites: OM1 was originally designed for massage and tactile therapists at any level. However, anyone with an interest in Oncology Massage is welcome to attend.
Student Numbers: Between 6 and 12
Recommended (non mandatory for OM1) Pre-Reading:
Medicine Hands by Gayle MacDonald
Quest for Life by Petrea King
The Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton
You will need to read these books before starting OM2, so it is a good idea to order them as soon as possible. You can find information on where to order them from on the pre-reading page.
NB. While OM1 does not have a formal examination, your suitability for this work will be assessed, before you can continue onto OM2. Progression IS NOT automatic.
To enrol, please go to the Booking Calendar to see all course dates.
OM1 consists of 3 full days of study - 9am to 5pm for three days.
OM1 has 6 units - a unit is a morning or afternoon session of approximately 4 hours with appropriate breaks:
- Unit 1 - Introduction; opening your heart to cancer; understanding how cancer develops and spreads around the body (science).
- Unit 2 - Pressure, site, position adjustments for clients under going chemotherapy. Pressure adjustment practical – breaking the habits of massage therapy.
- Unit 3 - Understanding fascia; relaxation reflex; pressure, site, position for clients undergoing radiation or surgery.
- Unit 4 - Bone Marrow Support Sequence practical; pressure, site, position for clients with appliances, scar tissue and bone metastases.
- Unit 5 & 6 - A full day of safe massage for clients with lymphnodes removed, practical and theory. Taking oncology massage into your clinic and your community.
Last Updated: 13/Oct/2018