Oncology Massage 1 (OM1)
Pre-Requisites: OM1 was originally designed for massage and tactile therapists at any level. However, anyone with an interest in Oncology Massage is welcome to attend.
Student Numbers: Between 6 and 12
Recommended (non mandatory for OM1) Pre-Reading:
Medicine Hands by Gayle MacDonald
Quest for Life by Petrea King
The Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton
You will need to read these books before starting OM2, so it is a good idea to order them as soon as possible. You can find information on where to order them from on the pre-reading page.
NB. While OM1 does not have a formal examination, your suitability for this work will be assessed, before you can continue onto OM2. Progression IS NOT automatic.
To enrol, please go to the Booking Calendar to see all course dates.
OM1 consists of 3 full days of study - 9am to 5pm for three days.
OM1 has 6 units - a unit is a morning or afternoon session of approximately 4 hours with appropriate breaks:
- Unit 1 - Introduction; an overview of cancer; understanding how cancer develops and spreads around the body (science).
- Unit 2 - Pressure, site, position adjustments for clients under going chemotherapy. Pressure adjustment practical – breaking the habits of massage therapy.
- Unit 3 - Understanding fascia; relaxation reflex; pressure, site, position for clients undergoing radiation or surgery.
- Unit 4 - Bone Marrow Support Sequence practical; pressure, site, position for clients with appliances, scar tissue and bone metastases.
- Unit 5 & 6 - A full day of safe massage for clients with lymphnodes removed, practical and theory. Taking oncology massage into your clinic and your community.
OM1 Half-Price Refresher
In response to your feedback, we are now offering an OM1 refresher for all OM2 graduates. You can attend any scheduled OM1 course on our calender, where there are already 6 new students enrolled. The normal CPE/CEU point totals should be available as you are effectively repeating the course, just with a different focus.
You will need to be present for three full days, and participate equally alongside the new students. You will also receive a new and updated OM1 manual. This will give you the opportunity to revisit the techniques.
To register as an OM1 refresher student, please just fill in a regular application for the OM1 course and then email David Bailey to notify us of your status.
If it has been 36 months or more since you completed OM1, and you wish to maintain your exdpertise, we recommend that you take up this opportunity. If you are planning to enrol for an OM2, you will need to have successfully completed an OM1 Refrehser no more than 12 months prior to commencement.
Last Updated: 13/Nov/2019