For Massage Therapists
The Programs listed below are designed for Tactile Therapists - ie, those students who have at least one of the following qualifications:
- A Diploma of Remedial Massage Therapy (HLT52015)
- A Certificate IV in Massage Therapy (HLT42015)
- A Certificate IV in Bowen Therapy (10846NAT)
- A Diploma of Myotherapy (22316VIC).
Although in the past we have allowed anyone to participate in our Oncology Massage Module 1 (OM1) Courses, it has become increasingly clear that there is an expectation that anyone who successfully completes OM1 should be able to progress to OM2. That has never been the case - although a very small number have made it through in the past. To more clearly manage student expectations, to enrol for OM1, students must:
- Successfully complete at least one of the above qualifications, or
- Acknowledge that they cannot proceed to OM2 without one of the above qualifications.
This is an area of ongoing discussion amongst OML Staff and Facilitators.
Programs for Tactile Therapists
The following OML Programs are available for qualified Tactile Therapists:
- The Foundation Oncology Massage Program
- The Advanced Oncology Massage Program
Notes on the Foundation Program
Once an OML Student has successfully completed the Foundation Program, they are qualified to work in private practice. Unlike the Advanced Program, if you register for the OM1 Module, you do not need to register for the OM2 Module at the same module. The two Modules are linked but generally students should complete the OM2 Module within 12 months of completing the OM1 Module.
Notes on the Advanced Program
Once an OML Student has successfully completed the Advanced Program, they are qualified to work in multidisciplinary teams in large public and private institutions. Unlike the Foundation Program, if you register for the OM3 Module you must also register for the OM4 Modules. The two Modules are linked and must be completed within about a month of each other.
Unfortunately, the Advanced Program is not currently available as we are seeking a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) with which to partner.
The following Courses are available to all OM2 & OM4 Graduates to allow them to refresh their techniques and ensure that they remain skills-current, or re-enter the field after a break:
- Half-Price Oncology Massage Refresher for Tactile Therapists - Module 1 (OM1-R)
- 1-Day Mini Tutorial
- Technique Refresher.
The following OML Programs allow OM2 Graduates to focus on specific Oncology Massage challenges:
- 1-Day Mini Tutorials
- Abdominal Massage
- All Things Head & Neck
- Massage & Breast Cancer (under development)
- Scar Management
- Safe Massage for People in Care (under development).