OML Course Coordinator
Oncology Massage Limited (OML) is a not for profit training organisation, teaching previously qualified Remedial Massage Therapists, Bowen Therapists, and Beauty Therapists how to work safely and effectively with people in frail health, especially those with a history or diagnosis of cancer.
OML is an equal opportunity employer looking for a person to work part-time at our Deakin West Office in the ACT. Hours are negotiable but the successful applicant will initially need to work three five hour-days/week in the Office with the possibility of working from home for a part of that time once they have settled in.
The workload of this position is largely driven by the calls made to the company mobile phone and the emails sent to the company email inbox. All calls made to us and all emails sent to us need to be satisfactorily addressed in a timely fashion.
Applications close on Sunday 11/Aug/2019.
- OML Course Coordinator
- Deakin West, ACT
- Managing Director
- Monday, 19/Aug/2019
- OML has concessional FBT status so salary packaging is an option that could be considered.
- Handover - Mon 19/Aug/2019 to Sun 1/Sep/2019, up to 10 hours/week @ $25/hour
- Induction - Mon 2/Sep/2019 to Sun 8/Sep/2019, at least 15 hours/week @ $25/hour
- Assessment - Monday 9/Sep/2019 to Fri 29/Nov/2019, at least 15 hours/week @ $25/hour
- OML may terminate the engagement at any time during this period if the probationary employee is deemed to be unsuitable.
- Subject to satisfactory probationary performance, from Sat 30/Nov/2019, at least 15 hours/week @ $28/hour
- Provide a first point of contact for all mail, email and mobile phone queries
- Support our Facilitators - help them to prepare for and deliver the best courses possible - help with venue, travel & accommodation bookings, and distribute course materials in a timely fashion
- Support our Students - help them to become successful Therapists and keen OML advocates - answer any questions they might have, help them to enroll for training courses, and update all corporate records
- Support our Graduates - help them to stay engaged with OML, be successful Therapists, and keen OML advocates - order & distribute corporate brochures, order & distribute corporate apparel, and update all corporate records
- Manage our course documentation - distribute prior to each course, scan & archive after each course
- According to capacity and capability, work with the Managing Director on various projects and tasks
Potential Future Roles
- Administration - undertake routine book-keeping, manage the quarterly billing process for the National Massage Therapist Listing
- Marketing - use the OML Student Database to increase enrollments and engagement, maintain & update the OML website, maintain & update OML’s social media presence
- Oral Communication, especially by phone
- Written Communication, especially by email
- Records Management & Filing
- Data Entry
- Reading Comprehension
- Problem Solving
- Sound Judgement & Decision Making
- Understanding Financial Statements
- Project Management
- Graphic Design
- Microsoft Office Suite (MS-Outlook, MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-PowerPoint, etc), and/or Google Office Suite (Mail, Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc), or equivalent
- Document Management Systems (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc)
- Document Scanners and Multi-Function Devices (Printers/Scanners/Copiers)
- Videoconferencing Systems (eg, ZOOM, Skype)
- Financial Management Systems (QuickBooks)
- Relational Database Management Systems (eg, MS-Access, Zoho)
- Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- Working in a resource-poor environment - the Community Sector, Small Business, and/or the Not-For-Profit Sector
- Working in a team and functioning productively
- Working with people from a diverse cultural geographical and professional background
- Working in a medical, health, and/or allied health environment
- Working in a vocational training and/or adult education environment
- Working in an accounts payable/accounts receivable area
- You know what work is on your plate, and you know what needs to be done first. You are methodical, and make good use of files, diaries, calendars, and to do lists. Some might call you process-driven.
- You are enthusiastic and keen to do your best. You get your kicks by helping our clients get what they need and seeing the results of a job well done.
- You understand the bigger picture so, given time, you can be decisive and work with limited supervision. You are focussed and not easily distracted, and you do not need to be nagged.
Patient & Calm
- You are able to meet the needs of chatty clients and confused students without becoming overtly anxious, abrupt, annoyed, or angry. You take the time to get the best result for OML and the person with whom you are communicating.
Confident & Respectful
- You are polite, friendly, knowledgeable and worldly but you do not know everything - and neither do we. If you have a good idea, you are comfortable with raising it. You do not seek conflict unnecessarily but, when you find it, you challenge the issue and/or the behaviour and not the person.
- You are not necessarily old or young and you are well-developed emotionally. You know how to strike a balance between quality and speed, and you know the difference between the two. You know when the highest quality is required, and when near enough is good enough.
- You take ownership of a task and work until it is finished. Like all of us, you occasionally make mistakes but you own up, make sure the problem is fixed, and you seek to learn from those mistakes.
Reliable & Consistent
- You are consistent between what you say and what you do. You meet all reasonable deadlines, and you are punctual. If you are asked to do something, we can assume that it will be done or that you will report back on the reasons why it hasn’t been done, and suggest a way forward.
Accurate & Attentive
- You have a keen eye for detail. You do not like making mistakes and you seek to minimise their occurrence. When dealing with incoming calls and correspondence, you fully respond to all concerns/questions, thus minimising the number of times that people have to come back to you.
Cooperative & Helpful
- You are happy to work in a team, taking direction and even taking the lead if and when required. When people seek your help, you look for ways to help them get what they need, not just what they want. You do not just sit by while colleagues struggle to get their job done.
Firm & Fair
- OML operates within a framework of policies, procedures, guidelines, and accepted practices. However, seeing the situation from another’s perspective is critical and knowing if and when discretion should be exercised is important.
Flexible & Resilient
- You can deal with changing priorities and situations - as well as ambiguity and uncertainty - without losing it. Working in the Not-For-Profit Sector is not always easy. Sometimes all you can do is laugh, learn, get a cup of tea, and move on.
The following standards terms and conditions for casual workers are taken from the Fair Work Australia website. After each condition, there is an OML comment that at least matches the Fair Work Australia conditions:
1. As a casual employee, the successful applicant will not:
- Get a firm commitment in advance from the employer about how long they will be employed for
- Get a firm commitment in advance from the employer about the days (or the hours) they will work
- Have to commit to all work the employer might offer.
Once through the probationary period:
- OML will provide the successful applicant with a firm commitment about how long they will be employed for, and agree the days & the hours they will work. The successful applicant will have to commit to all work OML might offer.
2. As a casual employee, the successful applicant:
- Will not have guaranteed hours of work
- Will usually work irregular hours
- Will not get paid sick or annual leave
- Will be able to end employment without notice, unless notice is required by a registered agreement, award or employment contract.
Once through the probationary period, the successful applicant:
- Will have guaranteed hours of work
- Will usually work regular hours
- Will not get paid sick or annual leave
- Will be able to end employment without notice (although OML would be grateful for the earliest possible advice)
- May have an employment contract if mutually agreed
3. As a casual employee, the successful applicant will have:
- A higher pay rate than equivalent full-time or part-time employees (casual loading) in lieu of sick leave or annual leave
- 2 days unpaid carer's leave and 2 days unpaid compassionate leave per occasion
- 5 days unpaid family and domestic violence leave (in a 12-month period)
- Unpaid community service leave.
4. Some casual employees work for one employer for a long period and become 'long term casuals'.
- Long term casuals stay as casual employees unless their employment relationship changes with their employer so that there is a mutual commitment to provide ongoing work on an agreed pattern of ordinary hours of work.
- A long term casual gets their casual entitlements regardless of how regularly they work or how long they work for. After at least 12 months of being engaged regularly by an employer on a casual basis, and if it’s likely that the employment relationship will continue, a casual employee can request flexible working arrangements, and take parental leave. They don't get paid leave or notice of termination, even if they work regularly for a long time.
- Workers Compensation Insurance cover included
- A company mobile phone will be provided
- A company laptop may be provided
- Will need an ABN if you choose to be a contractor rather than casual part-time staff
- There is limited car-parking available in Deakin West and it can be hard to find after 9:00 AM.
- The area is serviced by direct buses from the Civic and Woden Bus Interchanges with Bus Stops within easy walking distance of the Office.
- There are safe places to store a bicycle but there are no showers on site.
- There are kitchen facilities on site, as well as a daily mobile coffee and snack van. There are several lunch options within walking distance of the Office (Cafe EQ, the Royal Mint, Yarralumla Shops).
Applications close on Sunday 11/Aug/2019.
If you want to find out more about the position, please contact:
- David Bailey
- Managing Director | Oncology Massage Limited
- Phone: 04-0880-1756
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want to express interest in the position, please submit your email application addressing the job description above and provide the names and contact details of two professional referees.
Last Updated: 2/Aug/2019