Module Two (OM2) Info
Oncology Massage Module 2 - $950
Early Bird Price: Payments received one full month prior to the course date reduce the fee to $875.
Pre-requisites: Module Two is open to anyone with a Certificate IV in Massage Therapy practice or a Diploma in Remedial Massage or Bowen Therapy, as well as being registered with a professional massage association. If you do not meet this criteria but have other relevant qualifications, please contact us.
This module includes both an online, open book exam and a practical assessment. To be awarded the course certificate, and to register on the OM Ltd National Therapist listing, students must pass both assessments (see more information below).
REQUIRED pre-reading for this course is;
- Review OM1 notes
- OM2 FAQs document
- Medicine Hands by Gayle MacDonald
- Quest for Life by Petrea King
- The Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton
You can find information on where to order these books and download the FAQ document on the Pre-Reading Page
To enrol, please go to the Booking Calendar to see all course dates.
For OM2 Refresher information please scroll to the end of the page.
Module Two consists of 3 full days of study.
- 6 units (a unit is a morning or afternoon session of approximately 4 hours with appropriate breaks)
- 9am to 5pm for three days
- Unit 1 - Introduction; science review and development of leading edge research - psychoneuroimmunology (PNI); mindfulness touch; epigenetics; how the immune system works.
- Unit 2 - Review Bone Marrow Support Sequence; ‘lymph’ safe stroking; relaxation reflex and bowel blockages; abdominal massage demonstration.
- Unit 3 - Understanding the 4C’s, how beliefs and attitudes shape our health; managing the mind; Managing the new body image after cancer.
- Unit 4 - Abdominal practical; draping review; case study assessment. Discussion.
- Unit 5 - Understanding pain management; nutrition; Alternative verses complementary therapies, supplements and cancer.
- Unit 6 - Ethics; professional supervision – emotional and practical. Out-patients supervised treatment. Duration 4 hours including debrief and feed back.
Things you should know:
Before enrolling in Module Two, please ensure that you have been able to adequately practice the techniques demonstrated in Module One (we recommend at least 8 weeks). Colleagues, family or friends may act as suitable clients to practice on, so that when you work with folk experiencing cancer you will feel more confident and you will ensure the best outcomes for Module 2.
The online, open book exam is not OM based but has been designed to test your basic understanding of patho-physiology which you would have studied as part of your initial massage training. It is a pre-requisite to the course and it must be completed before the start date.
The exam gives you the opportunity to re-visit topics that you may not have looked at for sometime and, if you are unsure of a correct answer, an opportunity to research unfamiliar topics before you start the course. It is essential that you complete the online, open book exam and bring it with you on the start date of the Module Two course.
If you do not acheive the pass mark, you will have the opportunity to rewrite your incorrect answers before you attend Module Two. Please do not let any fear of exams deter you from undertaking this course of study!
The practical assessment will take place with a volunteer cancer client. If you require a practical re-assessment or further mentoring, you must pay for the facilitators time directly, at a cost to be agreed between both parties. An example would be to pay the regular massage hourly rate of the facilitator.
A certificate will be awarded to participants that pass both the online, open book exam and the practical assessment. Any participants that require reassessment will be provide with a course transcript, for CPE purposes only.
Oncology Massage Module 2 Refresher
In response to your feedback, we are now offering an OM2 refresher for all OM2 graduates. The cost is $475, and you can attend any scheduled OM2 course on our calender, where there are already 6 new students enrolled. The normal CPE/CEU point totals should be available as you are effectively repeating the course, just with a different focus.
You will need to be present for three full days, and participate equally alongside the new students. You wil not need to re-sit the exam, but you will be required to present 3 client case studies for discussion and advice. You will also receive a new and updated OM2 manual. This will give you the opportunity to revisit the techniques and ensure that you are still effecting the best possible outcomes for your clients. To register as an OM2 refresher student, please just fill in a regular applicaiton for the Module Two course and then email email@example.com to notify us of your status.
If it has been 24 months or more since you completed OM2, we recommend that you take up this opportunity. If you are looking at gaining acceptance onto the OM3/OM4 programme at the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness & Research Centre, you will need to have done the refresher no more than 12 months prior to commencement.