Module Three (OM3) Info
Oncology Massage Module 3 - $1,650 + $70 accident insurance
NB. This program is run in conjunction with the Module Four program, so applicants MUST be able to committ to both programs, which are usually scheduled 4-6 weeks apart.
Participants wishing to continue to Module Three and Four must have a Diploma in Remedial Massage or equivalent.
REQUIRED pre-reading for this course is;
- Review OM1 and 2 notes
- Medicine Hands by Gayle MacDonald
- Massage for the Hospital Patient and the Medically Frail Client by Gayle MacDonald
- Quest for Life by Petrea King
- The Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton
- Massage Therapy for Sympton Control: Outcome Study at a Major Cancer Centre
To enrol, please go to the Booking Calendar to see all course dates.
Module Three and Four are now held at Austin Health in Melbourne, Victoria, at the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness & Research Centre. Other major centres are in discussions with OM Ltd about expanding this program and new locations will be annouced as they come to fruition.
Module Three consists of 4 full days of study.
- Introduction to working in a hospital as part of a medical team; module 2 review; review of 4c’s.
- Ward and day infusion unit visit; communicating with medical staff; how to get information from research papers; the importance of referencing; the vocabulary of oncology departments.
- Spiritual Care perspective of oncology massage; adapting to hospital culture and when to call for emotional support for the patient and for yourself.
- Radiotherapy lecture and visit to radiotherapy department.
- Infection Control; medical devices and procedures; therapeutic touch; OH&S in hospital; nursing perspective of oncology massage.
- Manual handling for clients in a hospital bed; patient management and draping in the wards, out-patient clinic and massage room.
- Supervised practical of out-patients from cancer support group; intake notes, observation techniques; oral exam and case studies.
- Continued supervised practical; debrief of practical session; review of self care; information about module 4.
Things you should know:
- Admission to this course is by selection only and applicants must have completed and passed Module Two, AND be working with cancer clients regularly (weekly).
- Progression to Module Four is not automatic and will be dependent on therapist levels of competency, class participation and standard of written work.
- Vaccinations: please refer to the immunisations page
- Therapists are encouraged to schedule time before and after both courses to allow for the emotional and physical impact of these courses to permeate.
- A Pre selection prac assessment fee $150 may be required to finalise your application. The decision to apply this requirement is at OM Ltds discretion, and the final decision regarding acceptance onto this program lies with the OML selection committee. If the applicant is deemed ‘not yet competant’, a re-assessment may be arranged for an additional fee. ALL re-assessments are filmed and sent to senior staff for assessment.
- All applicants must now pay the $70 accident insurance fee, to cover them for any injury that may be sustained whilst on course and providing volunteer massages in the hospital. It is a once-off fee and covers the Module Four progam as well.
- Once OM Ltd receives an application form, a case study will also be required for assessment. This will be emailed out to you on receipt of your application.
- There is a strict dress code for Modules Three and Four and you will be required to wear an OML polo shirt at all times. More information will be provided prior to the course commencement.
NOTE: Refunds are NOT available for the Module Three and Four program once the course has been confirmed, under any circumstances. Places are limited and cannot be re-filled in the event of a cancellation. If a student does not pass the Module Three program and/or does not pass the reassessment tasks, a refund will not be offered. If a student wants to enrol and attempt the in-hospital program in the future, BOTH Modules Three and Four will need to be attended and paid for in full.